Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Recommended Article on Zuccaro's Portraits of Queen Elizabeth I and The Earl of Leicester

The ruins of "Leicester's Building" at Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire. Photo shared for public use courtesy of Lara E. Eakins.

Christine Hartweg, the author of one of my favorite blogs, All Things Robert Dudley, has put together a wonderful piece on the companion portraits commissioned by Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester in 1575 of himself and Queen Elizabeth I. 

Leicester hired the Italian artist Zuccaro to paint from life two full-length portraits as part of his last, and most elaborate attempt to get the Queen to marry him. Unfortunately for posterity, only the rough chalk sketches of these magnificent portraits survive, residing in the collection of the British Museum, London.

A sketch of Queen Elizabeth I of England, drawn from life by Zuccaro in 1575. Picture acquired through Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.
A sketch of Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, drawn from life by Zuccaro in 1575. Picture acquired through Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.

Ms. Hartweg has included wonderful details in her article, especially concerning the armor worn by Leicester in the sketches, and the fan held by the Queen, which was possibly a gift from Leicester himself. You can read her article, " Milord Lestre Favorito: The Zuccaro Drawings, 1575" HERE.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Being Bess! I feel much honoured. Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Wife left me,,,for some one else and she deny it,,we have been married for 12 years but have been together for 28 years,i feel sick to the core,we have a 15 year old daughter and its affecting her life also .i just dont know what to do,i dont want to throw her out ,dont think i could face it on my own, not until i go online and i saw how Dr happy help to restored back broken marriage and fix up relationship i just feel very weak and depressed.i love my wife and i want her back to our daughter so i decided to give a try to Dr happy who i put my trust and believe on immediately after i contact him, gave him all our details and do what he ask of me, a day after the spell trust me my wife was back and this time she love and care for me and my daughter all thank to Dr happy if you fine it difficult or have any problem with your marriage, relationship, getting ex back, you can call Dr happy on his mobile number +2348133873774 or still email him via

    happylovespell2@gmail.com

    web site: http://happylovespell.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT OGUDUGU!!! You have done it again, you have showed me your powers which i have been hearing from different people, but now am talking out of experience, Dr Ogudugu you are the greatest spell caster that i believed that is existing cause you brought back my lover who left me since 2015 within 24 hours, Sir you are the greatest, thanks for your great work in my life, and i will live to remember you cause you put a smile on my face by making my dream to come to past, thank you once again sir. My friends out there who needs help, i will advice you contact Dr Ogudugu for help cause he is a great man, here is Dr Ogudugu's email: greatogudugu@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete