Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Ministry of History

Presenting my original program,"In Her Own Words: An Audience with the Queen" to an AP history course at Ashland High School on 9/18/12. Photo by Mike Wurster.

Some people are called to the ministry of their church; others are born caretakers, destined to become doctors or nurses; and others still possess an innate maternal instinct that makes them wonderful parents. I believe that I am a person who has been called to the "ministry of history". My purpose is to research and educate others about the past. Through BeingBess and History, Inc., I aspire to get as many children as possible excited about history

When I was younger, I did not fully understand the reason why I was so intensely drawn to the people and events of the past, and more specifically, the 16th century. Once I recognized that my entire day was revolving around historical research, writing, and interpreting, I then understood that this was a force bigger than myself. This was to be my life's work.

My inspiration in all things, Queen Elizabeth I, painted from life and attributed to Zuccaro. Picture acquired through Wikimedia Commons. Image public domain.

The life of a researcher can be a lonely one, and some days it means I know the historical figures on the pages of my books better than my own friends and family; some days it means that I must forsake going out and socializing in favor of meeting a deadline. But all of these sacrifices are worth it to me, since I take my "calling" very seriously. Days away from turning twenty-four, I am more certain than ever of what I believe I was put on this planet to do.

I wish to express my gratitude to the online community of Tudor and Elizabethan bloggers, authors, and enthusiasts who inspire and support me on a daily basis. It is wonderful to know that there are others who share with me the passion for teaching others about history!

Semper Eadem,

Ashlie